Sunday 31 July 2016

Day 31, The final day



31 days of plastic


This is it folks, 31 days of plastic consumption. It's been quite a journey: from carelessly churning through a mountain of disposable plastic, to mindfully choosing product packaging that has a lighter impact on the Earth. I've changed my habits from outsourcing convenience, to taking responsibility for the logistics of my own consumption. Taking empty containers with me to re-fill, always carrying shopping bags and finding retailers who provide the goods I need, the way I need them, thinking of the whole product, 'goods and packaging'. Admittedly, things haven’t turned around in just a month, I have been concerned with my plastic use for years. This month however, I spent the time required to investigate how to take it to whole new level.

I have learned that the plastics revolution, started in the 1950's, has become a looming global catastrophe, an environmental flood of toxic waste that now permeates every ecosystem on our planet. It is estimated that by 2050 our oceans will contain more plastic than fish.

A great shock it was to discover that the entire recycling system is a myth. I now know only a tiny fraction of the plastic we consume, less than 5%, is recycled and even then into materials of a lesser grade, and of marginal ongoing reprocessing value. Putting plastic into your recycling bin merely delays it’s journey into the waste stream or the environment.

Recently, I watched an episode of Catalyst on the ABC, that examined the abundance of micro plastic in the oceans. Synthetic textiles come from the same base materials as plastics, hydrocarbons (oil), these textiles are broken down by wear and laundering into tiny particles that pass directly through the water treatment process, and out into the oceans. Therefore our campaign to reduce plastic should apply to choosing natural fibers for our wardrobe too.

It seems that we have become perhaps a little complacent at the true cost of these materials, and as we have seen with the Tragedy of the Commons, each person finds it difficult to see the impact of their individual contribution when applied at a global scale. Accepting a new paradigm and making these changes can appear difficult from the outset, but I have found much easier in practice.

There are great benefits too: many of the lost arts of household economy, the simple habits that our parents and grandparents used to perform are very practical, as well as opening up opportunities for a more engaged, perhaps meaningful connection with family and community. 

There was much interest and support with my unusual requests among the retailers I used, and it was very satisfying to overcome the small hurdles along the way. Sometimes my attempts to avoid plastic were difficult however, these were the moments that gave me the most satisfaction.

Thank you to my dear friends that had to endure my rants and obsessions this month. Now the month is over, I’m not going back to plastic as usual. I think the number I’m going to aim for is 90% (reduction). I strongly encourage you to come up with your number.

O





No comments:

Post a Comment