Friday 15 July 2016

Day 15, The problem with plastic outside the home


Notice the bin liner?
In the controlled environment of one’s home it is relatively easy to manage plastic consumption but when out and about, especially with children, it can be near impossible.

Gia got herself worked in to a medium-sized, dehydration-fuelled, emotional meltdown after kindy this afternoon. The best cure is calmness on my part, a gentle hug if she’ll take it, and a Slurpee on the ride home (or water if it happens before we leave kindy). Now this will only mean something to those Slurpee aficionados amongst you: the fine texture and coldness of the Slurpee mush was top quality, so I poured one for me too; Gia does not like to share. Two plastic straws - BAM!

I have an idea of compiling scenes from old movies that show examples of how our parents and grandparents used to live without plastic, in ways that we can apply today. For example, in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, there’s a scene in which Audrey Hepburn is in her kitchen talking to her cat and incidentally we see her line her rubbish bin with paper, I remember my mum doing this.

If you have seen an example from the movies and can recall where, please share with me. I’ll upload a video compilation at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment