Tuesday 19 July 2016

Day 19, Am I an alternative lifestyler?



As I have said before, one of the trickiest aspects of going plastic free is at the interface of other people's actions / lifestyle / values. For example: buying groceries, having lunch with a work colleague, hanging out with certain family members. To remain consistent with my my no-plastic mission I have to either expose myself as a bit of a radical or try and remain under cover. Obviously I'm trying to make a difference in the world but not looking to smash people over the head. Also, I've noticed that people can get very self-conscious when their values are challenged, even passively.*

As I said in my post on the 10th, transitioning communities to low-impact living should involve no shame or guilt, otherwise it builds resistance and becomes a culture war like we've seen with climate change.

I'm here to offer some ideas and be an example to others who may be on the cusp of such thinking, not to be the flag bearer to a revolution.

Random fails over the past week:

   • Parking ticket - the plastic ticket hurt almost as much as the fine.
   • Unsolicited mail or on-line orders wrapped in plastic / tape.
   • Items given to me.
   • Packaging at work - have you noticed how at work we're expected to leave our values at home?
     (This is a super important issue that needs to addressed).




* I'm amazed at how riding a bicycle can trigger a strong, even aggressive reaction from some motorists. Every day when I ride my bike, some idiot tries to teach me a lesson in car dominance. It's scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment